Starting Thursday, Jan. 31, drivers should plan for delays from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays on 228th St. SE near 15th Ave SE in Canyon Park.
Traffic impacts (see map for details):
- Drivers should expect an eastbound lane closure on 228th St. SE just before the intersection of 15th Ave SE.
- Most of the westbound turn lane will be closed, although vehicles will be able to enter the left turn lane to make turns just before the intersection.
- Starting at 6:30 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 31, no parking will be allowed on 15th Ave SE south of 228th St. SE where posted.
All lanes will be reopen by 3:30 p.m. for the evening commute. Crews will need dry weather to finish the work. If weather cooperates, work requiring traffic impacts may be complete by Friday, Feb. 8.
The lane closures are needed to build a project intended to deal with groundwater and rain that has been “puddling” and freezing in the center of 228th St. SE just east of 15th Ave SE. The project includes installing two catch basins and a French drain to collect the water into the storm drain system.
The mayor has signed a local proclamation of emergency that allowed staff to hire a contractor quickly. Council is scheduled to formally ratify the proclamation on Feb. 5.
A long-term future project will rebuild 228th and deal with the settling of the road. That project may include a more robust drainage system if needed.
In the meantime, when temperatures dip below freezing, crews are taking steps to deal with and prevent icing at 228th St. SE.
- Crews apply de-icer before freezing temperatures are forecast.
- Since groundwater washes away the de-icer, they also apply sand and salt after ice forms.
- We’ve posted “watch for ice” signs. (These have been moved to the sidewalk to minimize impacts to bicyclists.)
What drivers can do
- Please use extra caution in the area when temperatures dip.
- Slow down and use extra caution in construction zones.