The City of Bothell Landmark Preservation Board has been awarded a special grant to fund a "Telling Bothell's Full Story," project and we need help from the community! Inspired by an initiative launched by the National Trust for Historic Preservation called #TellTheFullyStory, City of Bothell would like to tell the history of Bothell from the standpoint of all residents, both past and present.
The accepted historical narrative for the City was written from the perspective of white European settlers who came to the North Creek Valley in the late 1800s. Some early Native American history has been added to the narrative over the years, but portrayals of non-whites are glaringly absent from the time of white settlement to the present.
The goal of this project is to uncover the past of our Black, Indigenous and People of Color community and to incorporate their history and accomplishments into the accepted historical narrative via documents, public signage, place names, community storytelling, etc.
The City is forming a temporary (ad-hoc) advisory committee made up of community members to:
- Advise the program manager and Landmark Preservation Board on the overall project
- Participate in research and interviews to help develop a revised historical context document
- Help determine where the existing historical narrative needs to be changed and what should be incorporated
- Recommend at least one Bothell Register and one National Register nomination if research supports
- Make recommendations on changes needed to park or street signage names, walking tours, public art and so forth.
Advisory Committee members:
- Must be Bothell residents, business owners, employees, students or a professional with history, historic preservation, archaeology, diversity, or cultural competency skills or certifications
- Should represent or have insight into accurate history of BIPOC community
- Are highly preferred if they have ancestors in the area from the BIPOC community
- Be able to serve throughout project timeline which is expected to extend through at least 2022
- Can be existing Board or Commission members
Please submit your application by Thursday, October 28. For questions, contact Sarah Desimone at email@example.com.