Follow these steps if your business has a spill
- Evaluate the situation, including safety considerations. Call 911 if there are any injuries or immediate danger.
- Open your spill kit and wear your personal protective equipment.
- Stop the source of the spill and deploy spill kit materials to protect the storm drains.
- Clean up the spill by using spill kit materials. If the spill is significant, you may need to contact a vendor for assistance.
- Dispose of clean up materials properly and restock your spill kit.
- If the spill reaches a storm drain or is too large to control, contact the 24-hour City of Bothell Spill Hotline at 425-806-6750 and the Washington State Department of Ecology at 425-594-0000 right away.
Be prepared with information
When reporting the spill to City of Bothell and Ecology, try to have the following information available.
- Where is the spill?
- What was spilled?
- How much was spilled?
- When did the spill occur?
- Be able to provide an initial assessment of the impacts and contact information.
Know how to use your spill kit
Watch a short video on YouTube to learn how to use the supplies in your spill kit. These videos are provided by Seattle Public Utilities and are available with subtitles in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Vietnamese languages.
Does your business need a spill kit?
If your business does not have a spill kit onsite, you can request one by filling out an online form. One spill kit per eligible business, and your business must be located within Bothell's city limits.